Domestic Energy Assessor Certification

From 6th April 2008 all new build domestic properties must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) i.e. an On-Construction Energy Assessor must provide an EPC for domestic properties being constructed before they can be handed over to the client as complete. This will also apply if a building is converted into fewer or more units and changes are made to the heating, hot water provision or air conditioning/ventilation services.

When the home is physically complete, the builder must obtain an EPC for the home, provide the EPC to the new owner of the home and notify the local authority building control officers or approved inspectors that this has been done. This must be done no later than the time specified by the building regulations. Building regulations include standards for the energy performance of new homes which builders must adhere to in order to comply with building regulations.

Once building control are satisfied the EPC has been properly produced and provided to the relevant party, they are able to issue a final completion certificate.

It is estimated that Energy Performance Certificates will be required for approximately 2.2 million dwellings per annum, which includes approximately 150,000 newly constructed dwellings, and a further 220,000 non-dwellings.

EPCs may only be produced by accredited OCDEAs. In order to become accredited, assessors must meet in full the *National Occupational Standard (NOS) in on-construction domestic energy assessment, which includes the ability to use SAP (standard assessment procedure), the approved software for producing on-construction EPCs off plan.

There are two routes to becoming an On-Construction Energy Assessor:

1. Qualification Route
2. APEL Route (Approved Prior Experiential Learning)

Click here to view our Charges and Fees.

1. Qualification Route

This route is for applicants who have achieved the Diploma in On-Construction Energy Assessor Level 3.

Step one - Please read the Membership Requirements, Minimum Requirements of Energy Assessors Members Code of Conduct, Charges and fees and the Support Desk

Step two - Complete the following Application Form and Payment Form

Step three - Please send us your completed application, along with the relevant documents:

  • One passport sized photograph of yourself;
  • Both parts of your driving licence or passport;
  • A recent utility bill, no less than 3 months old clearly showing your name and address;
  • Your qualification certificates (originals);
  • Copy of certificates of insurance; and
  • Full payment (cheque or card details using our downloadable Payment Form).

2. APEL Route

Click here to view the flow chart for how an application is processed.

This route is for applicants who have relevant experience relating to the design, construction and/or energy performance of dwelling and are able to use the Government approved software to produce Energy Performance Certificates. We offer a one-day training course on the use of the Government software if required, click here for more details.

Step one - Read the *National Occupational Standards (NOS) and Minimum Requirements

Step two - Read the Application Instructions

Step three - Complete the Application Form and Template

Step four - Please send us your completed Application with 3 EPCs and Payment

* - Please note that a policy change by Communities & Local Government has required these NOS to be revised. Please contact Tom Orton via torton@assetskills.org if you wish to see and comment on the latest draft NOS.

Once your application has been assessed you will be notified of the outcome. Applicants must meet 100% of the National Occupational Standards. Suggestions for meeting any gaps will be given to the applicant.

All completed applications should be sent to:

Unit 2, 76 Stephenson Way
L37 8EG

Applicants can apply for more than one strand of the accreditation scheme.

Contact Us

If you cannot find the information you are looking for, or if you have any questions please contact us today and we will be happy to help you.

Links To Further Information