Domestic Energy Assessor Certification

From 1st October 2008 all non-domestic properties with a floor area over 50m2 which are sold, rented or newly constructed must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).These EPCs may only be produced by accredited commercial energy assessors. In order to become accredited, assessors must meet in full the National Occupational Standard (NOS) in commercial energy assessment, which includes the ability to use the appropriate approved software for producing EPCs, whether working off plan or using data collected from the building.

It is estimated that Energy Performance Certificates will be required for approximately 2.2 million dwellings per annum, which includes approximately 150,000 newly constructed dwellings, and a further 220,000 non-dwellings. H&VCA Ltd can offer accreditation for energy assessors in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

There are two routes to becoming a Non-Domestic Energy Assessor:

1. Qualification Route
2. APEL Route (Approved Prior Experiential Learning)